We now offer the Shingles Vaccine to help reduce your risk of getting Shingles. The cost of this service is €190 and this includes the Vaccine, Consultation & Administration of the vaccine. This service is subject to availability of the vaccine.
What is Shingles?
Shingles is caused by the Herpes- Zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. Once you have the virus, it can lay dormant in the body and become active later in life where it develops in to Shingles.
Who is at risk?
Anyone who has had chicken pox is at risk of developing Shingles. You may be more at risk if you have a weakened immune system, aged over 50 or are under significant stress.
The symptoms of Shingles usually involve a painful rash on the skin with blisters which can be itchy & painful. This can last for between 2-4 weeks.
Am I able to get the Shingles Vaccine?
You can get the vaccine if:
- You are aged over 50
- If you have had shingles before, but its over 1 year since you have had them
You should not get the vaccine if:
- You have a pre-existing condition that weakens the immune system
- You are taking medications or receiving treatment that weakens the immune system
- If you are pregnant
- If you have had the shingles vaccination already
- If you have a history of allergic reactions to any of the shingles vaccine components
To find out more about Shingles visit: http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/S/Shingles/